The Magic of Rub 'n Buff

After months of reading about the wonders of Rub 'n Buff, I decided to try it out for myself.  I love all things gold, so I figured I could test it out on some of the decor items I don't really care much about {and therefore don't mind messing up}.  A trip to Hobby Lobby and I had myself this tiny little gem:



Rub 'n Buff comes in several colors, but I chose Antique Gold because a) I love antiques and b) I love gold.  Makes sense, right?  A couple months ago I tested it out just to see how it works on some old candle pillar holders {those puppies have been more colors than I can count!}.  And it worked great!  Since then it has found it's way into several projects.  Most recently?  Old candlesticks.


Over the past few weeks, I have been on the hunt for old brass candlesticks.  I've decided to start a small collection because I just love the look.  A couple of thrift and consignment stores later, and I had three very yucky, old, nasty brass candlesticks.  But boy were they cheap!!



After numerous attempts with the Brasso polish to clean these up, I decided Rub 'n Buff was the way to go! Please note however, that these candlesticks were not anything super nice/valuable.  Two were made in Hong Kong, and the third has no markings.  For the record, I do not condone using Rub 'n Buff as a solution on anything truly antique and valuable, at least until all other reasonable avenues have been attempted.  Meaning, don't attack your great-grandmother's heirloom silver set with the silver version of Rub 'n Buff.  YIKES!

Using this product is fairly fool-proof.  You can apply it with a small paint brush, a rag, or even your finger.  Don't hesitate to experiment with what works.  It can be removed with some mineral spirits fairly easily.  I used a combination of a small paintbrush and a soft rag.  Working in small areas, apply the product using your tool of choice, then lightly buff with a rag.  Depending on the look you want, you may want to rub immediately after application, or you may want to wait a few minutes or more for the paint to dry.

The end result?



Lovely right?



Have you ever used any of the other shades of Rub 'n Buff? I'd love to see your projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment