Let's try this again... and an easy DIY project

So... as you can tell, it's been about, oh.... 7 months since I last posted. Well... a LOT has happened in those seven months, including the Hubby and I both changing jobs (new companies, same gigs), a 2+ week trip to Kenya, and lots of weddings, showers, and fun in between.

Since it's getting to be the holiday season (of course my favorite time of year), I am making it a point to try to post more often. But the goal is to try to post more about my projects... Some easy (some not) DIY home projects that bring a SMILE to my face.

If you know me (well), you know that I LOVE projects. I love to sew, redecorate, refinish, find "deals", scour estate sales, etc. The fabric store is my "happy place". So, after some motivation from a friend, I am going to spend more time doing the things I LOVE. Even though I can spend 60 hours a week at work these days, I am going to make it a priority to find the time for the projects I enjoy.

So, with that said... My first DIY tutorial:

How to make a burlap table runner:

I think this is a great Fall project. I love the texture of burlap, and the sense of cool Fall nights that it evokes. So to add a rustic texture to my Fall dining room table, I made this runner.


Step 1: Decide on your measurements

Measure the length of your dining room table. Decide how long you want the edges to hang down. For me, I just used another runner to help me visualize the overhang, and settled on 10 inches. Since my table was 60 inches, I knew I needed an 80 inch long finished runner.

Then determine the finished width you want. Again, this is sort of all "eye it" step, since everybody's tables are different. I decided a 15 inch wide runner was just right for my table.

Step 2: Find your burlap

Check your local fabric stores. I found mine for less than $8/yard.

Step 3: How much do you need?

Add two inches to your finished width, and two inches to your finished length to determine the size you'll need. Since most fabrics come in 54-58 inch widths, you will need to piece together two pieces to get your final length. For most runners, you probably only need about a yard. Probably less.

Step 4: Cut your piece[s]:

For the straightest line, I recommend buying a large cardboard cutting board from your local sewing supply store. They are super cheap and come in handy quite often. Lay your burlap width-wise on the board, and mark off your width. For me it was 17 inches. Cut a straight line all the way across your fabric. If your runner's length is going to be longer than the width your fabric comes in, rinse and repeat this step for a second piece of fabric.

You should end up with two strips of fabric that when placed end to end should be about the size of your finished runner, plus hems.

Step 5: Determine where you want the seam

As mentioned above, most fabrics are 54-58 inches in width. So unless you want to pay for yardage to cut your burlap length-wise (and have a TON leftover), your runner WILL have a seam somewhere in the middle. If you are OCD like me, you may want your seam in the middle, or have two seams at either ends. For this project, I made it easy and just let the seam fall where it did. You really can't see it once you iron it well. So, if you are okay with a seam anywhere in your runner, skip this step.

If you are too type-A to let it go, then the easiest thing is to cut your second strip of burlap in half, and attach each half to the ends of the longer strip. This will give you two seams.

Step 6: Sew ends together

Place your burlap strips wrong-side out on top of each other, and pin together about 1/2 inch from the edge. Make sure your sides line up and everything is straight.



Then just sew a straight line all the way across to attach the two strips of burlap.


Step 7: Iron it Out

Separate the two hems and iron them flat.


Iron the finished side as well. It should look like this on the finished side.


Step 8: Stitch Witch

Pick your favorite hem tape (for novices, just ask for stitch witch at the nearest JoAnn's or other sewing store).

Roll out a length of tape and place under each hem. Follow the directions for pressing on both sides.


The idea here is to give your seam some extra strength since burlap easily unravels. Rather than surging the edges, I just placed some tape under each hem, ironed and moved on!

Step 9: Pin and tape the sides

Place your runner finished side down, and get it straight using your sewing board. Start at one end and pin your edges all the way down.

This is another step where if you are OCD and want nicely finished edges (that you can't see unless you look under the runner) you could double fold the edges and sew them. But for the sake of an easy DIY, I'm using a single fold and more hem tape.



When you're done, you should have two pinned edges, all the way down.

Get that iron out and go to town on your edges... The better you iron now, the easier.


After the sides are ironed well, placed the almost finished runner back on your sewing board to double check for straight edges. Look good? Great.

Now decide how long you want your fringe. I chose about 3.5 inches, so I placed a pin 3.5 inches from both ends. Now, pull out the hem tape and use it to hem both sides, all the way, except STOP where your pin is marking the fringe length (If you use tape all the way, you won't be able to unravel the ends)


Step 10: Unravel and tie

This is the most fun step. Once you've got finished edges, you can start unraveling the burlap on both sides to create your fringe. Just start peeling off from the bottom and keep going up until the fringe is the length you like.


Once it's long enough, unravel some more because you'll be tying knots.... Now, grab about 4-5 strands, and tie a loop knot.


You can use more strands for a heftier knot, or fewer for a smaller knot (see that left one? More strands)

Complete on both ends, and YOU'RE DONE!!!

Place on your table...


Add some festive decor...


And ENJOY!

Next, it's burlap placemats to use up the excess from this project!

Like this project? Let me know!

Like this project, but don't feel like doing it yourself? Email me and I would be happy to make one just for YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment