#9: Rome, Italy: Specifically, Circo Massimo when Italy won the 2006 FIFA World Cup
Okay, so basically I love Italy and all things Italian. I could never pick my exact favorite place, but I have to say that being in Rome when Italy won the Cup was an experience I will never forget! I never understood the crazy mad love the Europeans have for soccer until I saw it with my own eyes.
As a bit of background, Circo Massimo (shown in the first 3 photos) was the first and largest Chariot Racing Stadium in Ancient Rome. It was later the site of public games and festivals. Basically a giant entertainment space. Julius Caesar expanded the stadium in 50 B.C. to hold as many as 270,000 people, with as many still being able to watch from outside the gates. In present day, as is the case with many ancient Roman sites, the stadium is basically a giant field with a few gates still standing. Not much to look at anymore. But..... being there with the tens of thousands Italians cheering on, I could almost feel what it was like during the reign of Caesar with chariots racing around the track.
That night it took us over three hours to get back to our hostel (us = the random group of guys and gals from the hostel who became my BFF's for 3 days). The masses took over the streets of Rome, literally. People were dancing in the fountains in every piazza. It was truly a sight to see.
On a side note, I couldn't leave out pictures of St. Peter's, The Colosseum, the Sistine Chapel or Trevi Fountain. All sites you HAVE to see when in Rome. Borghese Gardens also rock. And a million other places.... I think I would crash Blogger if I tried to post pictures of all the places I love :)
Crowds watching the final game: Italy v. France, 2006
Rando Italiano dude who was really excited to take a pic with the blonde American girl

I can't leave out Basilica San Pietro! 2006

Or the Colosseum... Summer 2008

The Sistine Chapel, 2008

The masses at Trevi Fountain, 2008

Or the Colosseum... Summer 2008
The Sistine Chapel, 2008
The masses at Trevi Fountain, 2008

I can't wait to hear your favorites 1-8! Italy is by far my favorite! Well Greece too! I studied abroad in Italy a few years ago - AMAZING!
ReplyDelete