....FINALLY!
My mom and I had this idea for a DIY project about a year ago.... We were going to refinish my Dad's old table and chairs. They're a Chinese Chippendale style set from ... oh the 1970's or so. A great solid set, the only downside is it only seats four. But for the apartments we've been in and where we are in life, they're just perfect! So, Mom and I started the project over Thanksgiving. Needless to say, it was a work in progress. And boy do I mean progress. We went through a lot of trial and error, several trips to Home Depot, Lowe's, Hobby Lobby, and multiple fabric shops on Harry Hines. Finally, they are DONE!
The original idea was to do the table an antiqued gold, with super dark chairs (like from my post long ago with the hot pink chairs). That turned into antiqued gold chairs with a super dark table. Well. Let me tell you something. The reason that there are so many "antiquing experts" who run businesses doing this sort of thing, is that IT IS HARD! Mom and I spent DAYS trying to get the "antiqued" look just right. Big, fat, FAIL. But after much consideration, we finally went with a cream and gold crackle, which has turned out great! It was a (relatively) easy process with a pre-made spray paint kit. If only the "paint expert" at Home Depot had told me at Thanksgiving that they made a spray paint primer, life would've been so easy!
By the time I finished the painting on all 4 chairs, I was so sick of them I could puke. My dining/living room was a constant war zone, with primer, sandpaper, paint thinner, etc. So when the painting was done, the thought of recovering the cushions myself made me want to stab my eyes out slowly with a shrimp fork. And that is where the experts came in. I found a beautiful fabric that tied in the dark wood from the table with the cream from the chairs. And then we PAID someone else to do it! Marvelous idea. Shoulda thoughta that earlier. Neverless, Herschel at the fabric store did a beautiful job re-covering our old chairs. And now I can't WAIT to get them into our new dining room where they will actually fit with the new china hutch.
So without further adieu, the end result.... (Sorry, no before or during pics)
The chair. Ah, I love creams and neutrals.

My newest baby... Our china hutch. It's too big for this space
but I'm hoping will fit perfectly in the new apartment.

And that's all folks...


No comments:
Post a Comment