Chevron Tray DIY

As I mentioned previously, a trip to Ikea produced this lovely find

KLACK Tray, rubberwood Length: 15 " Width: 23 "  Length: 38 cm Width: 58 cm
An extra large tray for just $7.99!

After some fun with sandpaper, primer, white and gold spraypaint and blue painter's tape, we now have this beauty to rest drinks on our ottoman {coffee table}.


As mentioned in my earlier post, my inspiration came from Janell at Isabella and Max Rooms.  She has several posts of various DIY trays, including a cute chalkboard tray and gold leaf tray.  After a lot of thinking {searching Pinterest and my "design files"} I opted for a gold and white design.  Since I didn't want to purchase a stencil, but wanted to be able to create my design from painter's tape,  I chose a chevron pattern for a quick and easy DIY {okay, quick and easy is really a relative term}.

Materials Needed:

Tray of choice
220 grit sandpaper
White primer {I used Kilz spray primer}
White paint {I used Valspar bright white from Lowe's in a flat finish - the paint guy said the metallic may not adhere well to a glossy finish, though I would have preferred a glossy white}
Tape {I like Blue Painter's Tape}
Gold spraypaint {I used the same Rustoleum Metallic Gold from the Sunburst Mirror project}
Clear spraypaint protectant {I wanted a super glossy lacquered look, so I tested the Valspar Lacquer HiGloss from Lowe's}

Step 1: Prep, prime and paint white
Sand lightly with 220 grit sandpaper, wipe with damp cloth
Spray entire tray with primer {though you can skip the bottom since it won't be seen} applying additional coats as needed and sanding lightly between each coat
Repeat with the white paint
Let dry.



Step 2:  Tape your design
This is where some paper and pencil are helpful if you aren't a visual person.  I knew I wanted a consistent chevron pattern with even lines and 90 degree angles.

First I taped the outer edges along the tray bottom.  Then, starting in one corner, I laid tape at what looked like a roughly 45 degree angle from the edges, with the distance between each piece equal to the width of the tape {the white showing will end up being your stripes}


Then I taped the opposite direction, crossing the first set of tape at a 90 degree angle


Step 3: Cut out excess tape with a straight razor
This is where it gets a little tricky because you have to visualize the stripe you want to determine which pieces can be cut out.  If you're a paper and pencil kind of person, it helps a lot to draw it out first!  Once the pattern is completely cut out, make sure ALL of the tape is pressed down tight, and especially the edges! {fingernails come in handy}

{apologies for the super blurry pic, that was the hubster's doing ;-)} 

Step 4: Spray with gold!

Okay actually first you need to cover all the outer edges with tape to make sure the gold doesn't accidentally spray somewhere you don't want it.  Then coat lightly with gold.  Add a second coat if needed.


Step 5: Remove tape and seal with clear paint

Once the gold is dry to touch {which shouldn't take but an hour or so}, carefully peel off your tape.  Spray with your clear lacquer {mine required many, many coats to get an extra glossy finish}


Step 6: Enjoy! {I would let the paint cure for several days before placing anything too heavy on it}



I hope this gives you some inspiration!  Please feel free to leave a comment if you've tried something similar, I'd love to see your projects!  And as always, I'm happy to create a custom tray for you - just shoot me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment